Skip to main content

Jane's Birth Story

Some of you have asked to hear my birth story so I thought that instead of writing it individually to everyone I would just write it on my blog that I hardly ever use! Maybe I'll be more of a blogger now days but I really doubt it. Which is sad cause I've also slacked on my journal writing.... Anyways, this may be a very long post but if I'm going to write it I might as well write it all... here's our story.

Matt and I knew when we got married that we didn't want to wait too long before we had children, so we were ecstatic when we saw a positive pregnancy test on August 12, 2013! Matt didn't believe it at first because it was only day 31 of my cycle. I had been very diligent at keeping track of my time of the month and ovulation for the past 8 months and had never gone past 30 days so I knew I was pregnant even before I took the test. Not to sound cliche either, but I could "feel" that I was pregnant. I just felt different. I really don't know how to describe it and maybe it was just coincidence, but I knew. But to reassure Matt, I took another pregnancy test the next day and it instantly went to positive! He certainly believed me then, even when I told him that a positive is a positive no matter how faint the line. I had planned to take monthly pictures throughout my pregnancy on the bed like this but that didn't happen. Some days you really just don't feel like taking pictures! Matt just said, "oh, look at you..holding your pee" :)
I ended up doing more pictures like this.
September 9 is when we had our first doctor's appointment and that is when we met our Mini La Chappellie! With a due date of April 19, 2014! So cute!
I felt like I had a relatively easy pregnancy. I didn't throw up, but I did feel sick all day every day from about week 7 to week 13. And the only craving I really had was pineapple! YUM! I would have Matt buy the pre-cut stuff at Albertsons because we lived right across the street from it, and I would eat it so fast.
This is me at 14 weeks when we announced we were pregnant to our friends.
On November 25, 2013, we found out that we were to be blessed with a baby girl! The ultrasound technician went through all the body parts and organs first (which seems to take forever when you are waiting to find out the gender) but Matt took my hand and wrote "g-i-r-l" on it with his finger. I turned to him and said "I agree!" Finally, the tech confirmed what we said and sure enough our little babe was a girl! We were so excited! She was so wiggly and cute and we caught her sucking her thumb which was awesome because you could see her jaw open and close. Say hi!
Weeks slowly went by but before we knew it we were in the third trimester and about to have our baby! At my 38 week appointment, however, we found out that I was measuring too small. My midwife wanted me to get an ultrasound to see if she was actually measuring small or if she was just deeper in my pelvis because she had dropped. The ultrasound read that she was measuring 34 weeks, not 38. Two weeks off is okay, but four is too much. I knew my baby was going to be okay, but I was heartbroken when I was told they wouldn't let me go past 39 weeks and I would have to be induced. The placenta and umbilical cord weren't measuring right on the ultrasound either and they were afraid that she wouldn't be fit for labor, or even worse, if we waited longer. My midwife talked to me about how it is possible to still not get the epidural when getting induced but much more difficult. I knew then the chances of me getting the epidural increased by a lot after hearing this but I still wanted to try to go natural. And for the record, I am not anti-epidural.  So, before I hear anymore "I told you so"s about getting the epidural, and how it's a gift from God and we should use it, and we don't HAVE to experience the pain, blah blah blah, please be respectful towards a goal that I had set and something I had my heart set on for me AND my baby. I don't doubt the relief the epidural gives but I had studied all throughout my pregnancy on how to have a natural birth, and how much healthier it is for mother and baby. I had a very healthy pregnancy up until this point so I was confident that I would be able to achieve this. I knew what I had to do though, and knew I had to be induced for the health of my baby, but that didn't mean it was still hard for me to accept that I wouldn't get to experience what my body was made to do. I prayed and cried and prayed some more to accept these things and that my baby would be healthy and handle labor well.

On April 10, I went to my midwife to have my membranes swept. OUCHIE! I heard it hurt, but man, I about jumped off the table! Luckily, Matt, and a student midwife were there to hold me down! I was told to eat as much as I can/want that day and night and to call in to Labor and Delivery at 5:30 pm to see if they were ready to have me come in. I was getting anxious about getting induced, and when I get anxious I do not have an appetite but I knew I had to eat. So, Matt and I made the horrible decision to go to Golden Corral thinking there has to be something there I would like to eat. Wrong. The best thing there was their cotton candy! 
On a positive note..because we knew when I would be having the baby my parents were able to come and stay with us! It was so great to have them their with us! My mom was so sweet and found matching sheets and pillow cases for the daybed that we put in the nursery!  Also, she gave me two pink blankets that I grew up using all the time that are my grandmothers. They are perfect for the nursery. 
I called at 5:30pm, but they ended up not being ready for me until 11pm! Talk about a long night! We had fun though, brainstorming names, hearing the babies heartbeat and mom showing me what she bought for us. 
Here I am on an exercise ball having very mild contractions due to the sweeping! 




 Just about to go to the hospital!

 Once we were at the hospital they inserted cervidil and let that work it's magic for 12 hours. I was still a 1 when we got there so I was bummed. Here is a picture with the dilating chart. haha. I couldn't help myself!
Here are some more pictures of us at the hospital. 


 At 1pm the next day, they took the cervidil out and sure enough it did it's job! Administering pitocin was the next step in the process. They increased it by 1, every 40-60 minutes until 7pm, which is when the nurse increased it to 8. I was feeling really great until then..just some back pain and crampiness, but at 7:15, my water suddenly broke! Wow, that hurt like crazy! I told Matt, "I'm pretty sure my water just broke!" and to call the nurse cause I wasn't able to find the remote myself as I was handling the pain. I finally got myself out of bed and headed to the bathroom when sure enough my water had broken. After that, it was immediate, and INTENSE contractions! I did everything I could to get through each contraction and honestly felt like I did a pretty good job for about an hour. After that, I was getting to the point where I literally didn't think I could do it anymore. I was getting shaky, and did not feel in control at all. They were less than a minute apart and I really couldn't recooperate anymore in between them. I even got to the point where I thought "just cut me open and get this baby out of me!" During contractions I tried getting on all fours because we knew she was posterior so I thought maybe I could help her out so she could turn. I also slow danced with Matt, got on the exercise ball, and then on the edge of the bed and dug my face into Matt's stomach and grabbed his shirt so tight. I couldn't cope any longer and I didn't want to anymore. I was only a 3 when my water broke so that was also making me discouraged. At 8:15 the epidural was placed and it kicked in at 8:30. In retrospect, I wish I had asked them to check me right before placing the epidural. I wonder how close I was. But, I was asking for the epidural and it was funny because the nurse and anesthesiologist were like we have to get your consent, and I yelled "I'm giving you my consent!" They said, "well we need you to sign this." Basically I scribbled my name on that piece of paper. lol

I normally wouldn't post pictures like this online but I think this picture is pretty funny. Pretty sure I'm in the middle of a contraction!
 And, after I got the epidural.

My parents came after I told Matt to tell them my water broke. Originally in my birth plan, I only wanted Matt and my mom there during the labor and delivery but when my dad showed up I was thankful he was there and I wanted him to stay. Look how sweet my dad is. Matt saw him tear up a few times.
An hour after getting the epidural, my midwife checked me and I was a 10 and ready to push! It was kind of funny because apparently my first push was the best and they kept telling me to do it again just like that! But, I really had no idea what I did so then I just kept picturing my baby flying across the room, and I guess that seemed to work because 22 minutes later, at 9:52pm, our sweet baby girl was born! April 11, 2014. 5 lbs 11 oz, 19 inches!

 My mom was able to get a video of her being born too! (GO MOM!) And I think Matt got a little queasy so I cut the umbilical cord!
It wasn't till later that I thought about what happened after that. In my birth plan, that my midwife had me write up, I specifically stated that I wanted skin-to-skin for an hour with her right after birth. I didn't want a nurse to take her away and wipe her off or do all the tests on her and put her in clothes and a blanket. I feel like my birth plan went right out the window and I wasn't the first one to touch her cleansed skin. Maybe they had to change things cause we weren't sure how her health was going to be but that wasn't explained to me before. I am going to ask my midwife about that at my follow up appointment. I really do love my midwife though!

Overall though, I am SO pleased with how everything went! Goal #1 was to deliver a healthy baby and goal #2 was to not have a c-section so I really can't complain! Even though I didn't get the natural birth experience I wanted, I will still strive for a natural birth next time! We feel so blessed to have our baby girl here!

We first named her McKenzie Jane but I knew not even three hours later that that wasn't going to work. And hearing the nurses and family calling her that confirmed that! I didn't like it! Kind of crazy cause McKenzie was a name Matt mentioned the night before while brainstorming names and to me it just clicked at the time and felt right when she was born. We tried a few other names for the next two days, and then finally decided on Matea Jane. This was the name we talked about even before we were married! Should have just stuck with what we wanted in the first place :)

First family picture!
 Looking up at mommy!
Daddy and daughter :)
I couldn't sleep at all that night. I mean, how could I with her adorable face?!
Matea rocked all of her tests and we were able to go home within 24 hours! She brings so much joy into our home and lives. I never knew how much love I would have for my baby. And I love seeing Matt as a father. He does such a great job with her. I am so thankful for my eternal family :)






 Happy Easter!

Comments

Emily Judd said…
This is amazing Mel! I love all the fun pictures you have. So jealous about that! And seriously what a great experience. I love how you knew what you wanted. You educated yourself and even though things weren't as planned it still went perfectly! She is beautiful! Great job momma!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy 4th of July!

so yesterday I began to write a blog but then my computer shut off and i haven't had time to continue writing. and i don't have much time right now because i have a date with this guy name jaimen who is from boise and we are going to idaho falls to watch the fireworks! he's pretty cool. we met in the drumline. he's a snare player. ha...me and drummers... we marched in the parade today and it was really fun but also VERY hot! i was sweating like a pig and i am so sore right now because tenors are the heaviest drums and they weigh about 50 pounds! but i loved it! well i gotta get ready! have a good day! love you all!

finally!

alright! here are the pics of my car! you like??

swim suit and computer!

Alrighty! I FINALLY found a swim suit that looks good on me AND fits!! Isn't it SO cute?? I love it! It's a tankini and look how LONG it is. there's no way my tummy will show! I just wanted you all to see it now! I can't be on here for long because of my dumb computer charger... i'm sick of this computer and really its not my fault that it doesn't work because my roommate tripped over it a few semesters ago and broke it. Starting this fall, everyone has to have a computer at BYU-I so maybe i'll just buy a Mac. And never let anyone use it and i'll keep it in my room when ever i'm not using it. Well! today was long and stressful. i hate technology right now. tomorrow i have my jury on drum set. i'll just have to do the best i can. i know he wouldn't fail me but i could get a B on drum set...grr.. wish me luck!